Sunday, July 26, 2009

Needed: Translator

I have a lot of words now and I understand most of what is said to me, but Mama and Daddy seem to need some help with translation. I like certain words and I use them a lot, but for some reason Mama and Daddy seem to think they mean different things and they keep trying to correct me.

Here are some examples (description/their word/my word):
  • where the car lives / garage / bye-bye
  • how we get into the house / door / daddy
  • what we eat / food / poo-poo
  • what I want Mama to do while I eat / sing / row-row
  • who's on Daddy's phone / lots of different people / papa
  • who's on Mama's phone / lots of different people / a-mah
I mean, it's not like I don't understand the words Mama and Daddy use. I also know that my favorite words have different meanings too (i.e. I know who Daddy is and I know how to say "bye bye" to people), so why is it so hard for Mama and Daddy to keep up with me? No matter how patient I am with them or how many times I try to explain, they still use the wrong words for things.

Hopefully this is just a stage and they'll outgrow it soon.

No comments: