Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Operation Toddler-Proof

Operation Toddler-Proof is a complete failure in our house. So far, Mama hasn't found a single toddler-proofing device that I can't figure out. I pull out all of the outlet covers and bring them to her. I climb on the baby gate. I open all the drawers and cabinets unless Mama turns them against the wall. And today, I managed to take the doorknob cover completely off of the closet door so that I could get inside to play.

In other exciting news, my play room door fell off its hinges this morning. This would normally not be such a big deal because there's a baby gate there to keep me in. But my play room is also the guest room, and it's where Mama and Daddy will be sleeping when babyhill arrives and where A-Mah and Opa will sleep once Mama and Daddy move back upstairs. It opens directly into the dining room (which is open to the rest of the house -- our house is pretty much a giant open floor plan) and is right next to the bathroom. So having a door is pretty critical. Mama is convinced that this means the baby will arrive soon, just when things are falling apart.

In the meantime, Mama wants to get a bunch of baby gates so that she can at least slow me down. She plans to put one inside the closet, so that I won't be able to get inside the closet even though I can open the door. Ditto for the bottom of the stairs, maybe even for the bathroom. Hmmm. Hopefully she'll get more gates like the one we have, which has all kinds of great little footholds for me to use to climb...

No comments: