Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Managing expectations

Even though I'm not even 3 months old yet, I've already figured out that if I manage expectations well, it's really easy to impress my mama and daddy.

I've very carefully laid out the groundwork over the past 11 weeks. I refused to sleep on my own under any circumstances. I'd sleep happily in a carrier or in someone's arms, but the second I was put in my crib or cradle I'd wake up screaming. As icing on the cake, I was particularly fussy at night, waking up as frequently as possible to nurse.

The result of all of this hard work has been that mama and daddy have gotten accustomed to holding me 24 hours a day. This has been great for me because I love being cuddled. After all, I'm still in the "4th trimester" -- that 12 week period when I am learning how to live outside of the womb. But now that I'm reaching the end of my 4th trimester (shouldn't they be called "quarters" instead?), I think it's time to assert some independence.

No comments: