Friday, July 11, 2008

Oh!

Today I finally managed to get some toasted oat cereal in my mouth! Mama has been putting them on my Bumbo tray to let me grab, because she knows that I'm developmentally ready to eat them once I can pick them up and feed them to myself. Prior to today, I just banged on the tray to make them fall off, or I'd scoop one up in my hand and smush it. But today I decided to do what Mama does: I picked up one "oh" very carefully and put it in my mouth. Then I did some magic trick (Mama's not sure what I did, because it did not appear to involve any chewing) and the "oh" was gone! I looked at Mama for more, so she put another one on my tray. She let me do my magic trick on three of them before she decided that it was making her too nervous because she couldn't tell if I was chewing, swallowing or just saving them in my mouth to choke on later. She let me chew on her finger for a bit (although it felt suspiciously like she was checking around inside of my mouth for stray "ohs"), then she even let me have an extra fix of the milk-drug (making sure my throat was clear?) before she put me down for my nap.

Oh yeah, I pick them up with my left hand. Mama's not sure if that means anything yet. While I may show a preference for my left hand right now, it's still a little too early to determine if I'm a true lefty like my Uncle Jim.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm ordering a bumbo tray immediately! I had no idea they existed. Thanks for the idea. Benjamin is eating these little Gerber stars that mostly just dissolve in his mouth before he has to chew them up. Oh's sound a little scary, but maybe we will brave it since you have mastered them.