Friday, April 4, 2008

Just in time to celebrate

So today I am 5 months old. That's quite mature, if you ask me. I think it's about time for me to get some independence and autonomy around here...once I can sit up on my own, that is. Until then, I'm pretty much just sprawled on my back, helpless. However, even when non-mobile, I sure can make my presence felt!

As I mentioned yesterday and earlier today, I have been refusing to take my afternoon naps. This results in a very cranky and overtired babyhill, but normally the situation is rectified once I go to bed at night and get my 8-10 hours of beauty rest. Tonight, however, I've decided to switch things up a bit. Instead of going to bed at 7 PM and waking up to nurse around 3-4 AM (like I've been doing for the past several weeks), I woke up at 10:30 PM. I cried until mama came in, and she changed me into a warmer blanket sleeper and then sang to me. I slept for about 10 minutes, then started crying again. Now I've quieted down again, but I'm not sure how long this will last.

I might be hungry. I haven't needed to nurse in the middle of the night for a long time, but now that there are so many other things for me to pay attention to when I'm supposed to be nursing, I might not be getting as much to eat during the day as I should. Even when mama puts the Hooter Hider over me, I pull it out of the way (thanks for that suggestion Baby Jammy -- it's so much fun!), poke my head up through the neck, or I just stare at the pretty patterns. There are so many fun things to do, how can I be expected to focus on just the milk-drug?

Not that I'm saying I don't want the milk-drug anymore. Oh no...that's not in question. I just think I should be able to enjoy it on my terms, rather than having to wait for mama to offer it. Maybe slip some into my pocket so I can take it with me and have a sip or two whenever I feel like it. Is that too much to ask? At 5 months old, I'm more than ready to handle the responsibility.

No comments: