Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Weight watchers and rice cereal

Today was my 6-month check-up with the Dude. I'm starting to not like visiting him, because it seems like every time I go I end up getting stuck with needles. Today it was three needles -- one in my left thigh, two in my right thigh. I do NOT like the needles.

Other than the needles, things are going pretty well with me in all ways but one: my weight. Mama and Daddy have always teased me about being a little on the thin side, but I guess I'm heading towards being downright skinny.

When I was born, I was in the 5th percentile for weight. I've tracked along pretty well since then, staying squarely in the 3-5th percentile...until now. Today, I came in at the -3rd percentile. Yes, negative. I weighed in at a hefty 13 lbs 2 oz. Then I nursed on one side and weighed in at 13 lbs 5-1/2 oz. Then I wet my diaper, nursed on the other side, and ended up at 13 lbs 6 oz.

The Dude isn't too concerned yet because my length (25-3/4") and head circumference (42.8 cm/16.9") are both steadily following the 25th percentile curve. He thinks that starting solid foods will help with my weight, as well as increasing the amount of the milk-drug I get at daycare. Maybe Mama will start feeding me Cheetos and milkshakes at every meal.

The Dude also thinks that working on my naps at daycare will improve things a lot, as it will get me back on my regular schedule and I won't miss feedings because I'm so exhausted from my lack of naps (that's what happened today -- I fell asleep in the car seat before we even left daycare and I didn't wake up again until we were pulling into the Dude's office 2-1/2 hours later). Mama is worried about the nap thing, because she's been trying all along to get them to help me take my naps.

Anyway, did you see those two exciting words in the midst of my rambling? "Solid food"?!? Yeee-haw! When we got home from the Dude's office, Mama and Daddy got me ready for my very first taste of solid food: rice cereal mixed with the milk-drug. They were worried that I wouldn't like it or that it would take me awhile to get the hang of things, but they're silly. I am so ready to eat solids. I ate it all up and wanted more, so Mama ended up giving me a double serving. I tried to take the spoon out of her hand so I could eat more quickly, and when she didn't let me do that I tried to slurp directly from the bowl. But she wouldn't let me do that either. Hmph.

Afterwards, I finished off with a cool sip of water from a shot glass. I feel like such a grown-up now, like I should have an after-dinner cigar or something. And I bet I'll feel even more grown up once Mama and Daddy put me in a proper high chair instead of setting me in the middle of the coffee table to eat.

No comments: