Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Snappy

It turns out that Opa can't say my name very easily because it uses an "a" sound that is very difficult for Germans to pronounce. Mama should have known better, considering that her first name (Patricia --> Patti) has the same sound and Germans couldn't pronounce it correctly either*. She was either "Petty" or "Potty". So Opa has been calling me "Zack Zack" (pronounced "tzok tzok"), which is a German expression that means "hurry up" or "make it snappy". It is one of mama's favorite German expressions, and even though I use my full name in general, I don't mind Opa calling me "Zack Zack". After all, I was rather impatient about the whole 40-week gestational period thing.

By the way, I rolled over again today. My days of the dreaded tummy time are numbered.

*If you're wondering why it mattered that Germans couldn't pronounce "Patti" correctly, it's because mama went by "Patti" when she was growing up and she grew up in Germany.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tzok Tzok is a pretty cool nick name... so far everybody calls me something different. I'll probably decide to have some kind of identity crises and change my name when I get a little bigger. I figured out the rolling over thing too, and then I forgot how. I complain every time I have tummy time too. If its ok with you, I'm going to ask my mom to link her blog to your blog, so all my other friends can read about you too.