Monday, November 10, 2008

12 month check-up

Today I had my 12 month check-up, although I didn't get to see the Dude. I saw Dr. Tom instead, and I like him too. He's very smart and takes all of Mama's questions seriously, which was nice (especially when Mama was unable to form a proper question and instead clumsily attempted to describe her vague uneasiness about the flu shot and my immunizations). He talked a lot about my diet, switching me to whole milk, and how to deal with temper tantrums. That's one subject I wish he hadn't mentioned, because now Mama and Daddy might be better prepared to handle me. Hmph. I don't have the upper hand anymore.

Anyway, the most exciting part of my check-up is always the weight check. I've been in the 3rd percentile (3%) for most of my life, except for the time I dropped down to the negative 3rd percentile (-3%). The goal is to keep me growing at the same rate or better, and we're doing a good job! I weigh 20lbs, which puts me in the 12th percentile (12%). I'm actually ON the charts now! And Mama thinks that I actually weigh more -- they weighed me with one of those manual scales with the slide thingies, which isn't all that accurate. We know that I'm at least 20lbs.

For my other measurements, I'm 29-1/2" long, which puts me at about the 44th percentile (44%) for height. My head circumference is 46.8cm (18-1/2"), which is about the 64th percentile (64%). So this means that although I'm still skinnier than most babies my age, I'm getting close to average height and my noggin is a bit on the large side. No wonder I can't walk yet...most of my weight is concentrated above my neck! That's not exactly an "athletic" build.

After my measurements and general health check, it was time for my shots. I got my Hep A, pneumococcal, MMR and flu shots. They combine some of the vaccines, so at least it was only three shots instead of four. This nurse wasn't as fast as others have been, but I handled it surprisingly well! I screamed bloody murder at the first poke, but then I just did my standard cry/whine combo for the other two. Afterwards I cried for a couple minutes, but then I got distracted by the fun mirror in the room and everything was OK again.

So that's the summary of my one year check-up! Dr. Tom said that I'm a very healthy and happy boy and I look just terrific, even though I'm recuperating from a cold which makes me particularly cranky and runny-faced. If he thinks I look great now, he should see me when I'm at the top of my game!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hee hee! I have incredibly large noggin'ed children myself..,I'm sure it just means they are brilliant with all that room for brain! Way to go getting on the weight chart! I also had one of those kids...she is 7 now and seems to have survived though she will never be a big bruiser! Who invented that chart anyway??