Thursday, November 27, 2008

Long night

Who knew they made hospital gowns in my size? And as you can see by the second picture, in the spirit of hospital gowns everywhere, my tush is hanging out. Is tush-exposure a hospital gown style requirement? Luckily I have a very cute (even when diaper-encased) tush. You can also see my glowing red E.T. toe in the second picture. That's the sensor they used to track my pulse and oxygen levels.

So why was I donning this lovely hospital gown and E.T. toe? Well last night, we had another first: our first night spent in the ER. Luckily, it turned out to be nothing -- just a 4-hour middle-of-the-night (isn't it always?) excursion.

See, I had a fever yesterday afternoon. I was showing some signs of a cold, but nothing big until the fever. Mama gave me some infant Tylenol to help me sleep, but I still had a fever at bedtime. I couldn't get to sleep (even after more Tylenol), so after three hours of trying to comfort me, Mama finally called the triage nurse. The nurse listened to my breathing over the phone and said we should go to the ER, just in case. She said my breathing was labored and rapid, and just to be safe we should get it checked out.

So we all headed over to Children's Hospital at 10 PM. We visited with lots of people wearing masks, who poked and prodded me while taking all kinds of readings. I showed them how strong my lungs are by screaming as loudly as I could. Finally at 2 AM, the doctor pronounced me "just fine". They were worried it could be pneumonia, but it turns out it's just a cold.

I slept in until 9 AM this morning, but I have a feeling I'm going to be pretty cranky today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Zack,

How come you got to wear a gown at Children's and they made me wear normal stupid PJs when I was there last spring? Glad you're ok! Next time steal some of those gowns for my dolly.

-Ella